(viewed from left side)
Starting position: Stand with heels together, toes a little apart, weight evenly distributed on both feet and knees slightly bent, arms slightly curved at your sides with palms facing backward.
1. Sink your weight onto right foot and lift left heel slightly off the ground as you bring hands back-to-back in front of body.
2. Place left heel about a foot in front and a little to the left of your right foot as you turn fingertips inward toward body, then upward toward the sky, and raise back-to-back hands until fingertips reach neck height with palms facing to sides.
3. Slowly shift weight forward onto left foot and lift right heel; at the same time continue raising hands slowly as you turn palms first inward toward your body, then toward each other, and finally forward in front of your face with tips of thumbs and forefingers touching.
4. Roll right foot forward so your toes are touching the ground and your right knee comes forward near left knee, with right leg extended back, as fingertips reach top of forehead and curve forward to extend out from forehead so palms face the ground, base of thumbs resting lightly on forehead, and elbows extended out to the sides.
5. Form a Gimel with tips of fingers extended above toes of left foot, right knee close to slightly bent left knee and right leg extending diagonally back and downward toward right toes which rest lightly on the ground.
6. Begin to shift your weight slowly back, rolling weight from right toes onto ball of right foot, as you slowly lower elbows and withdraw your hands until fingertips are once again level with forehead, palms facing forward.
7. Bring left foot back next to right foot as you continue lowering your arms, and turn palms first toward each other, then toward you, then outward toward the sides so hands are back-to-back, fingertips pointing toward the sky.
8. When fingertips are at waist height, shift weight evenly onto both feet and let arms separate to the sides, keeping elbows slightly bent, and then turn palms toward the back with a circular motion until they come to rest at your sides with fingertips pointing toward the earth.
9. Repeat full sequence starting with opposite foot; then repeat sequence eight more times on each side.
Return to Otiyot home page